Thursday, 14 March 2019

Dad Metal Fabricator Welder trade

Dad served his trade as a Metal Fabricator/Welder, including Coppersmithing of copper boilers for use in small domestic solid fuel stoves.

Fabrication/Welding (at Airdrie Tech, or Sheetmetalwork at Falkirk Tech( Bainsford, then later at the brand new Tech college there.

I figured that my trade in the Mitchell and Russell workshops gave me better training than what the apprentices got at Airdrie.

Also I got to work with great sheetmetal tools at the sheetmetal Tech.



https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Mitchell,_Russell_and_Co

One of the objects ( of many made by me in my 5 yrs apprenticeship) was a large copper coal scuttle, that I made for Maw. It was approximately the size of a very large soup pot and became my entry for my intermediate City & Guilds of London exam piece, which I passed ( age ca 18)

Sadly, when Maw came to Sydney she gave the scuttle to Linda, who, sometime later, gave away to a charity shop!!!!!!!

No comments: