Saturday, 26 October 2019

Polland family history connections

Dad says:
POLLAND LETTER FROM YOUR UNCLE JOE-DEC. 6TH 1939--RE PIGEONS AND FOOTBALL CAREERS OF POLLAND BROTHERS INCLUDING MUM'S DAD, DAN
From:  Ellie Ellis –
                                    15 Mayfield Drive
                                    Armadale
                                    West Lothian

                                    Dec 6th 1939. (Lisa's note - has Dad got the date correct??,


Mr William Polland


Dear Sir in reply to your letter of the 19th Nov making inquiries if I was any relation of yours as I might be a Son of Joseph Polland as you had seen my name in the Scottish Express and in the papers when the Football was in full swing seeing one Polland playing with Armadale well that was me in fact I may tell you that there was three Brothers of us played for Armadale at that time and I was playing in England for four years and then I played for Alloa F C for four seasons and my other Brother also play 2 seasons for Aberdeen and then played for Hibernians two seasons and then for East Stirling and another played for Clydebank Juniors and for Cumbernand also.  In fact there was five brothers all playing at the one time now that is the sporting side now for the relationship side.  You might be a relation for all I know but I am not as son of Joseph Polland. 

My Father’s name is the same as your own name William Polland and there was three brothers of them Joseph Polland and Daniel Polland and my Grandfather’s name was also William Polland and he had no brothers only one sister and was married to a man named McAfee or something like that name and she died early in married life and my Great Grandfather’s name was Daniel Polland.

My Grandfather was in a little place called Fauldhouse and was married there and reared all his family there that was 73 years ago or 74 since he was married there.  He was born in Glasgow in about Cowcaddens and he never was away from Fauldhouse till he came to Armadale 48 years ago and died with my Father here and as you say your Uncle Joseph Polland was a big man.  Well I may tell you my Grandfather was a big man almost 6 feet.

Now this all I can tell you as regards my relations as far as I know as perhaps you may be some kind of relation and I may tell you also my Great Grandfather originally came from Ireland (Dromore)  Co Down and were all Roman Catholics.  So you will see for yourself I have gave you all the particulars both sporting side and relationship side and all I know of my connections as far back as I can and if you perhaps can put a link of relationship into it from your side of knowledge about your relations as I know that is my relations are as stated but perhaps there may have been a missing link somewhere.

So if you can make anything out of this knowledge let me know or if ever you be my way about Armadale be sure and give me a look up and you will be made welcome for really we were sure there was hardly anybody of the name of Polland but ourselves as it appears to be a very scarce name so I hope the particulars I have given you as regards my connections may give you a clue one way or the other to your connections as I have heard my Father saying he never saw a friend of his father’s if so there must have been a missing link somewhere also in our family relations as I can go no further than my Grandfather only that my Great Grandfather was Daniel Polland.

So I wish you the very best of good health and if you can as I said above make anything out of this let me know of your verdict and if ever you are our way give us a call.

I am Dear Sir

        Yours Truly

        Joseph Polland

No comments: