Saturday, 23 March 2019

Mum and Dad's Wedding Dinner - Fairway Hotel

(From Mum)
Just found this on the net.  The Fairway Hotel in Bathgate, West Lothian, is where we had our wedding dinner.

It was a dinner in a room with lots of dancing space. Lisa and Dianne's Grannie Ellis, and Grannie Polland danced all afternoon - not together, tho!  There was lots of Scottish style partner dancing.  I was so worried about my Dad, and his anger at me not marrying a Catholic, and have a Methodist Church Ceremony. In fact he had threatened right up to the day, not to come to the wedding. But he did come (Mum's persuasion) and I was shocked to see The Minister had been allocated a seat right next to him. 
But Dad was always a gentleman, and had a few nice chats with him. I had no Irish background relatives there, as I knew they would not come. In any case it was a small wedding by Scottish standards, as my parents had already paid for my sister Dana's wedding not long before.

We had to leave at one point, as Geordie and I were going to visit my grandad Craig (who was in hospital) , with me in my bridal outfit.  He had been so upset about missing the wedding, we took part of the wedding to him. . 
We took pieces of the wedding cake for all the old men in Grandad ward.  It was very sad, as all the old guys had tears in their eyes, but we were so glad we did that. Made us realize how lucky we were being young.  The joke of the day was, though, the announcement that we were leaving for the hospital. Everyone laughed and said so that's why they were in a hurry to get married!!!  I told them they would be disappointed when we got back.  But it was a great wedding!

The Fairway was close to my old Catholic High School, St, Mary's Senior Secondary, which I attended, and then eventually worked in as School Secretary, not long  before we got married. Before that I had worked in the Dental Hospital in Edinburgh, which is now a restaurant, and the door still has the Dental Hospital sign above the door. It is directly across from the Scottish Museum, on the Greyfriars Bobby end of that street.    I allocated the stores, related to dentistry to the Dental students, and in those days there were lots of gold teeth, so lots o gold leaf was in my care!  Memories!!! Hope you enjoy them.

By the way, I sent an email yesterday saying both sides of my family were from Ireland. That was not quite right. Both of my fathers side Craytons and Pollands ( and now we know Ferris's did.  But the Craigs and Cameron's came from Scotland. One of my relatives son, Andrew Watson who does lots of research int family history, told me  this year that he has no doubt our Cameron's way back fought at the famous battle of Culloden, where it was said that the Cameron's took the front line. It appears they were fearsome fighters. Pop/Dad says that doesn't surprise him at all, as he says I have inherited that!  I think he's just a jealous, Ellis! Hee, Hee. 

That's about all for a while about family history!!!!

No comments: