Wednesday, 22 May 2019

GFEs STORY OF APPRENTICESHIP Metal Fabrication-Welding



DRAUGHT-GFEs STORY OF APPRENTICESHIP Metal Fabrication-Welding

Copied from my email ‘original DRAUGHT’
NB the dates need checked, of my apprenticeship and my months as a tradesman prior to my migration to Sydney, Australia with my wife, Eleanor Crayton Ellis, Ms Polland

JULY? 1958-June 1963-GFEs ‘His Story in the Chattan Iron Foundry, Metal Fabrication workshops’.

BONNYBRIDGE STIRLINGSHIRE SCOTLAND where I was a Metal Fabrication/Welding Indentured Apprentice, and 5 years later as a qualified tradesman, with Technical Education qualifications, including the Intermediate City and Guilds Certificate. 



DRAUGHT

https://www.tafesa.edu.au/xml/profile/profile_OCC124.aspx    [Paste this url into your browser to see one of the best ads about what my trade -Metal Fabrication/Welding- is all about].



In essence, a Boilermaker usually was covered by the Boilermakers Union, which was mostly to do with shipbuilding. 

Whereas, Metal Fabrication/Welding, was covered by the Amalgamated Engineering Union. i.e. land based workshops doing general metal fabrications in all sorts of metals, including stainless steel, copper, as well as steel, and the welding/brazing/riveting of such fabrications. 



I didn’t think much of my achievements, as i thought that what I saw other tradesmen do in Scotland, I was just a babe in the woods in comparison. I knew that I had a lot to learn!  it was a bit daunting, seeing the huge blueprints and to work their commensurate machines, used to form and cut the shapes required.



No one explained much to the new apprentice. Safety, yes, but years of working in my Grandad’s sawmill at Bonnybank, between the Bonny river and the Forth and Clyde Canal, made me very aware of much of the dangers.

Yet, most of the tradesmen were very good at taking a new apprentice. One of the reasons being, that the men were on a ‘piece’ rate, i.e. Bonus Work, where by the were given a certain number if hours to make a fabrication, and, theoretically, if, for example, the job was costed by the estimator to take say, 20 hours to fabricate and weld, then if it only took 10 hours, the tradesman, could make twice the pay. Any percentage under the estimator’s time was a bonus. However, when the job, assuming that it was a a repetitious job, was done faster, then the hours were knocked down for the next time that particular fabrication was on offer. So it did not pay the men t o be too greedy. And, if the tradesman had an apprentice, then the apprentice’s work time was a bonus to the tradesman, by making the job quicker, and cheaper as the apprentice time was not costed against the job estimate.



After I was 18, I was able to do ‘Bonus Work’, which helped Maw, as we three laddies, Billy, me and Jock, always handed our unopened pays to Maw. Maw gave us ‘pocket money’ as well as 'buying all of oor clothes'

Billy was 2 years older than me, and I was 2 yrs. older than Jock. But, all three of us ate like hoarses, and when we went tae the dancin, Maw always bought for clothes[usually from the Coop Store, on her dividend savings], as well as feeding 3 growin laddies. 



Where I won was that I was still dain the papers til i was about 20 years auld. I would be doing afternoon papers, standing outside one of the foundries as the workers flooded out to get on their buses to homes a good way away. Or riding their bikes the 2-3 or so miles locally. But most simply walked hame, as many lived in the village and its surrounds. When I started my apprenticeship, I had to give up the morning/afternoon paper deliveries. 



But, from about 12 year old I was already doing Sunday paper deliveries. Then, when about 14, I was asked by the Newsagent to come in early - about 7am[as his ’senior boy’ might have decided that he was ‘ above paperboy duties and gave up the paper round] - to help him split the bundled papers into the correct amounts for each individual run. This entailed each paperboy being able to gauge what customers on his run bought. It was all oral information, which Auld Wattie [Walter] Gray kept for his estimating how many papers varieties were needed. There were the Scots papers, the Sunday Post and Mail, then the English ones, The People, The News of the World and others, as well as magazines. Now, the paper bags would hold about 40 papers each! They were heavy and were best carried crosswise across the opposite shoulders. So, after the some 10 or so runs, covering the village, I would take my lot, returning to the shop after a couple of hours. When i came back, many times a paperboy didn’t turn up an auld Wattle would ask me to do that, as well as the first one, which I always did. Beside this, I had my regular 2nd run along Falkirk Road down through Thornton Avenue and then along Gateside Avenue [where we lived at number 15] then after my second breakfast about 11 am - my second after having a breakfast earlier in the morning at about 6.30am that Maw prepared, I would carry on along Gateside to my mate, Don Alexander’s house at number ca29, where his mum would give me another breakfast. She had more upmarket food as the Alexander’s were quite well off being related to the Alexander Bus Company as well as Mrs. Alexander, being from the Show folks related to Maw’s Mum’s Bastables.



After these food supplies I wended my way back to the shop finishing off my Sunday papers. But occasionally, a laddie wouldn’t turn up and i would do another run. What with the early Newspaper shop duties, the 1 to 3 runs that i would do quite regular, and the tips from, mainly the pensioners, I would have made more than my first two years as a an apprentice. But, my busy social life at the dancing’ and takin’ girls out, it was a full-time joab. I was pleased to be going tae my work as a metal Fabrication/Welding apprenticeship for a rest! 



But, back to my apprentice start at 15 year old. Mr. Paterson, the Personnel Officer, in charge of such employment issues as hiring, firing and training, never really explained much, about the actual job. He took us apprentices up to the place of work and left us with the Manager of the shop to allocate us to our tradesman, who was the person that was responsible for apprentice practical training, on the job, including safety.



But, then, as a new bod on the works floor, what more could anyone expect, as any explanation besides the myriad things told to me at employment, was replete in its myriad of things that had to be done, to just get started. I really cannot remember the first time I met with Mr. Patterson, except to know that he had spoken with Dad, who worked in the Chattan, at his trade as an iron fitter. Dad fitted the component parts of moulded castings into the shape of whatever heating stove that was to be built. These ranged from just ordinary heating wood/coal/anthracite fired stoves to ornate cooking stoves which catered for food as well as baking provisions, with or without boilers fitted, that provided much needed hot water for bathing and cooking purposes.



It wasn’t til much later when Eleanor and i married in August 1963 and migrated by ship to Sydney 12 Dec 1963-13 Jan 1964, that I appreciated the very thorough trade training and technical education and training that I had gained. The Technical Education received in Scotland, including the external London City & Guilds system of external exams, which made me a very ‘coveted’ employee. 



ALTHOUGH I DIDN’T THINK THAT I WAS ‘a coveted employee', AS, I HADN’T REALLY APPRECIATE THE VERY THOROUGH TRAINING THAT I HAD RECEIVED IN SCOTLAND, IN COMPARISON TO THE MANY BLOKES HERE IN THE TRADES, [in the 1960.s when we migrated], WHO HAD BEEN MORE OR LESS DILUTEES DUE TO THE SHORTAGE OF QUALIFIED TRADESMEN.  THIS IN NO WAY DIMINISHES THE LOCAL TECHNICAL EDUCATION SYSTEM, JUST THAT IT HIGHLIGHTED THE THE GREAT NEED FOR TRADESMEN, BEING ‘INFILLED’ BY QUALIFIED PEOPLE LIKE ME AND TO A GREAT EXTENT, UNQUALIFIED MIGRANTS GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME ‘QUALIFIED ON THE JOB TRAINING’. 



Now this is just a rough explanation of the so called ‘differences’, but it would also be true to say that it was about unions fighting to ‘control’ membership to their union [AS ALWAYS], which gave them power at the next level within the union movement, as MPs, where access to political power, as MPs, to further the cause of Labour/Communist/Socialist values. NB these values were different according to the belief systems of the various unions and the members therein.



I started my apprenticeship in Scotland at Mitchell & Russell Chattan foundry, in Bonnyside Rd, Bonnybridge, a some10 min bike ride, or 30 min fast walk away from home at 15 Gateside Avenue Bonnybridge. The ‘Chattan’, as we called it was mainly set up as a cast iron foundry, making solid fuel fired, cast iron stoves, as were the dozens of such foundries in Scotland from mid-late 1800’s to some time after I finished my apprenticeship in 1963. Stove making foundries were well and truly on the way to oblivion by the time I finished my apprenticeship. People had relied on the solid fuel [coal/coke/anthracite fuelled] cooking appliances due to the great abundance of coal [and its less ‘poisonous' derivatives such as anthracite and coke and also timber fuels available]. 



NB It was quite an eye-opener for me to see the number of Scottish made fuel stoves here in Australia, especially up-country, where wood fuel was plentiful. No wonder that Country women were so famous for their baking and cooking, given the   hundreds of thousands of these fuel stoves exported to ‘the Colonies’. Even in Kurri Kurri, I remember going down to Cowboy Wilson’s house and there was an ‘Esse’ cooker, Just as i had seen later, in Country NSW and, as well on my visit to South Africa, staying with Eleanor’s sister Dana McBride, husband Bert, and family in Vanderbilt Park, Vereeniging in South Africa]. In fact, Smith and Wellstood, along with other Scots stove makers, had factories in South Africa.



But, what with the advent of SMOG [C1 a mixture of smoke, gases, and chemicals, especially in cities, that makes the atmosphere difficult to breathe and harmful for health:] WHICH ALONG WITH CIGARETTES and alcohol, CAUSED MASSIVE health problems in Britain, and I dare say in all industrialised countries. I well remember, when delivering Sunday papers early, in Bonnybridge, the lorries that passed through our village taking local Falkirk area made stoves being transported to Glasgow docks in their Commer lorries, which had a distinctive ‘putta-putta-putta-putta’, exhaust sound from their engines as they passed through.



GETTING AN APPRENTICESHIP.

My dad told me that there were 3 jobs going, Metal Fabrication/Welding Apprenticeship, Toolmaking Apprenticeship, and, Draughtsman Apprenticeship. 

Now the hierarchy of jobs was such that the son of one of the Managers took the draughtsman position. This was the job I wanted, as I did very well at High School Technical Drawing and metalwork/woodwork, where I built an adjustable sloping topped desk for use in 15 Gateside Avenue, our Ellis abode. The son of one of the foremen took the second job, which in the hierarchy of trades was much wanted. And, as it was, I was lucky to get the third and last available apprenticeship, of Metal Fabrication-Welding. Now, i got that as my Dad was well respected as a stove fitter tradesman, and, his work with the Bonnybridge juvenile football [soccer-see my copy of Bonnybridge local History for mention of Dad- GEORGE REID ELLIS- in his work with the juvenile football]. This had gotten me this job interview and the subsequent apprenticeship [Metal Fabrication Apprentice].



I started at the Metal Fabrication/Welding trade in July 1958, after my last year [3rd year] at Denny High School finished prior to the June/July Holidays [NB I have to check all of these dates as I’m only going on memory.] i finished my trade apprenticeship at the end of July?? 1963.1963.1963, some 5 years of loving what i did. By this time I had finished 3 years at Falkirk Trades School, down next to the Forth and Clyde Canal at Bainsford, then the last two years or so at the brand newly built Falkirk Technical College, next to the Ice rink. In the meantime I was completing various levels of the London City and Guilds qualifications external exams supervised at the Tech College. Whilst i did well in my first four years doing so i failed the last year [due to love interests that had started to take up my other interests when I met Eleanor Polland at Whitburn dancing]. Ah love! Or, as the French say, c'est la vie.



 So what did i fabricate???   



In essence a Boilermaker is another name for my trade, but in Scotland [and, to an extent here, in Australia] Boilermaking is associated with metal fabrication in mainly heart steel, usually over 1/8th inch thick.



—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

DAD’s Note; - The following is just the advert for South Australia TAFE, giving the work profile and salaries of a Boilermaker;

It can be viewed at----https://www.tafesa.edu.au/xml/profile/profile_OCC124.aspx ——

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
           

Metal Fabricator (Boilermaker)



Note: Completion of a TAFE SA course does not guarantee an employment outcome. Formal requirements other than educational qualifications (e.g. licensing, professional registration), may apply to some occupations.



Job Prospects           Openings 5 years to November 2018: < 5,000

Salary Range            Median weekly earnings: $901 to $1000 to Source: Australian Government Department of Employment 2014

Brief    Think of ships, submarines, storage tanks, boilers or any other metal fabricated product, and you have entered a boilermaker's work environment. 



There are approximately 2,671 boilermakers working in South Australia. Employment is largely full-time and most work in the Manufacturing industry. Majority of persons in this occupation are males and most are employed in the Adelaide metropolitan area. This occupation has a younger age profile with less than a third of boilermakers aged 45 years or older.

Quick Profile Navigation



            • Courses

            • Introduction

            • Education Requirements

            • Career Path

            • Physical Environment

            • Occupational Example





TAFE SA courses that may be relevant for: Metal Fabricator (Boilermaker)



Accredited (Award)



            • Certificate III in Engineering - Fabrication Trade

Introduction



Boilermakers are highly skilled in making and repairing all types of fabricated metal products. They make and repair vessels or containers, which hold liquids and gases that create steam, and are able to withstand the pressure that builds inside. One such vessel is a boiler, which supplies steam to drive huge turbines in electric power plants and to provide heat and power in buildings, factories, ships and submarines. Before repairing or making a fabricated metal product, a boilermaker studies design drawings and creates full size patterns or templates. After the various sized and shaped pieces are marked out on metal, it's time to cut, using hand tools, flame cutting torches or a guillotine. The sections of metal are then shaped or bent and accurately lined up, before they are welded together.



Outdoor

Education Requirements



Of those currently employed 60% have either Certificate III or IV; and 5% have Certificate I or II. Around 30% of boilermakers have no post-school qualification. It is recommended that you gain the available qualifications to get the best possible chance of employment.



TAFE SA offers the following short courses that may assist you gain employment in this occupation including Operate and Monitor a Basic Boiler or Operate and Monitor an Intermediate Class Boiler. Check the website for the full list of short courses.



SA Apprenticeships are available in this occupation for further information go to the Traineeship & Apprenticeship Services Website at http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/apprenticeships-traineeships or phone the Freecall number 1800 673 097.



Career Path



In South Australia, most boilermakers work in the manufacturing, construction and mining industries. However, there is currently a high demand for these tradespeople in the ship and submarine building industry. Shortages for qualified boilermakers exist nationally, and according to a Metal, Manufacturing and Services Industry Training Council spokesperson, there will be a high level of activity in those industries that employ boilermakers for several years yet.



Nature of the Job



If the pieces are very large or heavy, then cranes are used to assemble them. Using hammers, grinders and cutting torches, boilermakers remove any irregular edges so the metal pieces fit together properly. They then join them by welding, bolting or riveting. Boilermakers also align and attach other components such as water tubes and valves and then test the product for any leaks or other defects. And because vessels such as boilers generally have a long shelf life of up to 35 years, a boilermaker is involved in their maintenance and updates components such as boiler tubes to make them even more efficient. If this all sounds like a long and drawn out process, that's because it can be. Just ask former boilermaker, John 'It can be time consuming with a project sometimes taking weeks, but when you see the end product, it's very satisfying'.



Typical Physical Working Environment



If you enjoy working with your hands, are physically fit and able to visualise how an object should look from a drawing, you may have the aptitude for working as a boilermaker. An interest in and understanding of welding and working with metals in the area of structural engineering, is also important according to an experienced boilermaker. Most boilermakers train in both Boilermaking and structural fabrication and so may also be involved in fitting, assembling and joining aluminium and steel in the construction or repair of towers, bridges and ships.



Typical Occupational Example



Potential employees need to be very aware of personal and workplace safety as a boilermaker's work environment can be hazardous. They often use potentially dangerous equipment, such as power grinders and oxy-acetylene (torching) equipment. Boilermakers work indoors in large workshops, or on construction sites during heavy engineering construction, such as shipbuilding or mineral processing plant equipment.



For further information, contact:



Australian Manufacturing Workers' Union (SA)

GPO Box 1051, Adelaide SA 5001

Ph: (08) 8332 6155

Fax: (08) 8364 0563

Email: amwusa@amwu.asn.au

Website: www.amwu.asn.au



Engineering Employers Association, South Australia

136 Greenhill Rd, Unley SA 5061

Ph: (08) 8300 0133

Fax: (08) 8300 0134

Email: enquiries@eeasa.asn.au

Website: www.eeagts.asn.au



Manufacturing Skills Australia (National Office)

PO Box 289, North Sydney NSW 2059

Ph: (02) 9955 5500

Freecall: 1800 358 458

Fax: (02) 9955 8044

Email: info@mskills.com.au

Website: mskill.com.au



No comments: